Dental Hygiene and Smoking

Home Forums UnTheme Giving Dental Hygiene and Smoking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

janinafluharty

Recently I went to the dentist. It had been 7-8 years after my last visit. Going to the dentist merely did not become a high priority once the kids of mine were born. Living kind of got a bit of frantic as well as the focus became much more about the kid’s health rather compared to my personal. Besides, the last dental check of mine up was great. I was told I had healthful strong teeth.

I fully expected another radiant report this moment – I’m unsure the reason why. But there I went, with confidence into the seat. When the dentist came in to chat with me, I was shocked by what she said. To begin with, she was talking being about oral cancer. Next she talked to me regarding periodontal health. I paused for a moment to make without any doubt I was at the appropriate place.

I thought dentists simply cleaned the teeth of yours, took x rays and filled cavities. This was the very first time a dentist was snapping an active interest into the overall health of the mouth of mine. I certainly didn’t understand how to react. In the beginning, I believed she was simply seeking to create a few extra bucks from me as well as my insurance. But as I’ve talked to individuals about my experience, they echoed the story of mine.
    It seems, the tooth world has changed in the last decade. It is starting to be a lot more of, how should I say this, a complex science? I was amazed at the conversation my dentist and I had. We talked about heart disorders, oral cancer screening, gum disease, bone loss, etc. Following the visit of mine, I understood the reason why the parents of mine each had aproximatelly 4-5 crowns and rather fragile tooth.
    Since I am a respiratory therapist, the conversation considered smoking and how smoking is such an issue with dental health. Not merely does smoking discolor teeth and cause bad breath, although it also leaves the gum tissue in a constant state of inflammation. This is incredibly similar to what goes on in COPD/emphysema in which the lung tissue remains inflamed. Normal healthy tissue was not meant to remain inflamed. This just changes the entire dynamic of how the tissue relates to it’s bony structures and it’s normal bacteria flora.
    Smoking likewise worsens periodontal disease and tooth decay. Periodontal disease happens when the tooth exhibits bone loss in the gum. This creates a pocket around the tooth by which bacteria are able to erode at the tooth more. Eventually, this can cause heart disease. I understand, you’re asking yourself, “heart illness, how?”. Well, the bacteria can enter in the bloodstream around the tooth. One time in the blood stream, it is able to go just about wherever. It has been noted ending up in the heart tissue or buy power bite – Read the Full Posting – on the heart valves, and do not think for a minute that the danger is a remote one. As I said, dental science is becoming ever stronger and a lot more compelling.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Dental Hygiene and Smoking
Your information: